Telefon: 0611 / 440281
Telefax: 0611 / 7247368
religious denomination: protestant
Until the erection of the Ring Church, there was not really a Protestant tradition of ecclesiastical architecture, and Protestant churches were based on Catholic models. The Berlin architect Johannes Otzen built the Ring church, following the so-called “Wiesbaden Programme“, developed in 1890 by the Wiesbaden pastor Emil Veesenmeyer. This plan oriented Protestant church architecture to the needs of Protestant services. Thus the altar, pulpit, choir loft and organ are visible and audible to everyone seated in this church (capacity 1100), which was consecrated in 1894. Because of the interior design and the care with which the church's external appearance corresponded to the requirements of urban planning, it was declared a German national monument in 2002. Visitors will find a "monument of German architecture" (Otzen) built using high-quality materials and with a uniform architectural style, namely the transitional style from the Romanesque to the Gothic style. It is one of the few churches of its era not spoilt by either the impact of the war or by later changes. Even the Romantic Walcker organ of 1894 still has 75% of its original sound.
Points of interest
- "Gründerzeit" (period of industrial expansion in Germany from 1871) church which was built according to the "Wiesbaden Programme" from 1889 to 1894
- Externally it is a basilica in the "transitional style" from the Romanesque to the Gothic
- Interior built according to the modern principle that "form follows function"
- Rich interior design with beautiful windows and sculptures
- High degree of craftsmanship