The enormous number of old buildings in the city were not torn down, but restored one by one. And so Wiesbaden has managed to move into the modern world without losing its imperial flair.
At the request of Kaiser Wilhelm II., the Kurhaus as it stands today was built by Friedrich von Thiersch between 1904 and 1907 for six million Goldmarks in Neo-Classical style. The imposing ionic portal bears the Wiesbaden coat of arms with its three lilies and the phrase "Aquis Mattiacis".
The New Town Hall on the south eastern side of the Schlossplatz was built between 1884 and 1887 according to the plans of Georg von Hauberrisser. The imperial eagle, flanked by the lions of Nassau and the lilies of Wiesbaden, can be seen on the paving in front of the Town Hall.