Luisenplatz with Bonifacius Church | © wiesbaden.de
One example of an impressive urban design dating back to 1832 and inspired by Classicism is Luisenplatz, especially its eastern side. Christian Zais wanted to design the square as an extension of Kirchgasse, but the Building Officer Johann Eberhard Philipp Wolff had it moved to its present location.
The projects of building the City Palace and the first Catholic church at Luisenplatz were frequently changed initially: at first, the residential palace of the Duchy of Nassau created in 1806 was supposed to be built instead of the Bonifacius Church (Bonifatiuskirche) and the palace to be connected with the summer residence. After several changes related to the parcels of land, the building projects and questions regarding ownership, the Catholic parish received the property at Luisenplatz in 1843.
The Waterloo-Obelisk recalls the residents of Nassau who lost their lives during the battle against Napoleon.