The Bowling Green, whose name comes from the English game of bowls, is a lawn bordered on three sides by the theatre, the Kurhaus arcades, and the Kurhaus itself.
Originally the area was lined with Acacias, which were replaced by London Planes in 1817. For many decades the green was covered with clover, until the Garden Director Carl Friedrich Thelemann redesigned it in 1855 to look more like a park. The two, three-bowl cascading fountains designed by Theodor Goetz are from 1856 and were restored during the reconstruction of the park in 2006.
The building of the underground car park as well as the planting of young London Planes and the replacement of the lawn were also part of the Bowling Green's reconstruction.