Episcopal Church St. Augustine of Canterbury
The church was built to the designs of Oberbaurat Götz between 1863 and 1864 and named after St. Augustine of Canterbury, who was sent from Rome to England by Pope Gregory the Great in 597 to convert the English people.
The bell tower and side aisle, designed by the architect Friedrich Lang, were added between 1887 and 1888. The church was severely damaged by a bombing raid in February 1945, but the large carved wooden crucifix survived.
On 23rd January 1966 a fire caused by a faulty heating system resulted in the church being gutted. The crucifix survived again, if charred, and can now be seen at the rear of the church. The wooden rood beam upon which it stood is incorporated into the balcony where the organ now stands.
The church was restored and was re-consecrated on 22nd January 1967. In 1995 the interior of the church was repainted entirely through the efforts and contributions of members of the congregation.