During the 19th century, Wiesbaden rapidly developed into spa of worldwide renown, a new Kurhaus thus became indispensable to meet the growing requirements. The architect Friedrich von Thiersch having gained a reputation through construction of the Munich Courthouse and designing of the Berlin Reichstag (=Parliament) building, was put in charge of constructing a new Kurhaus in 1902.
This splendid building, erected at the same site and in similar style as its predecessor, was dedicated in 1907 in the presence of Emperor William II: sumptuous rooms such as the Wine Palor in yellow marble, the Shellwork Room with frescos, rocaille and pebbles decorating its walls; the Red Pavillion set up in the style of Louis XVI; the Bacchus Room and the Corner Parlor with a leather-embossed, gilded ceiling. The large concert hall was adorned by high columns made of Nassovian marble, and by mahogany-paneled walls; the entire ceiling was magnificently laid out in blue-golden coffering.
Most of this unique historical garnish was lost in an air raid towards the end of World War II. After the war, a functional, makeshift reconstruction was carried out in the post-war years.
Since 1983, the Wiesbaden Kurhaus has been redecorated and modernized. Expenses for this endeavor ran up to approximately 65 million DM. Based on the original plans by Friedrich von Thiersch, which were found again in some archives, and drawing from old prints and photographs, it was possible to recapture the original style of 1907 with all its charms of Williamese architecture, at the same time, however, paying attention to the functional demands of late 20th century. Equipped now with the latest communication technology, the Wiesbaden Kurhaus provides a diversified range of use.
On December 4, 1987, the Kurhaus was reopened during an exciting week of celebration, the schedule of events being a dashing demonstration of how to make use of the Kurhaus facilities.
Ever since then this historical monument has become the center of varied social activities and events. National and international congresses, meetings, conferences, exhibits, banquets and gala dinners find the lovely halls and rooms of the Kurhaus to be a grand locality for their respective purposes.