Auringen cemetery
Auringen cemetery
Alt-Auringen/Holzweg,
65207 Wiesbaden-Auringen
Bus service
Line 21, stop: “Am Weinberg”
Contact:
Auringen Local Administration: 06127-705810
Established in 1864 and expanded several times thereafter, some sections of the original perimeter wall have nevertheless been preserved; above all, the cemetery administration retained the original layout of the burial grounds, which featured a cross-shaped design along the main axes formed by a longitudinal and a transverse path.
The memorial stone, originally intended to be placed in the center to honor the participants and fallen of the Franco-Prussian War of 1870–71, was only recently moved to the green space in front of the cemetery entrance due to space constraints. Here, too, in 1896, the Auringen War Veterans and Military Association, in keeping with the tastes of the time, opted for an obelisk constructed of sandstone. Auringen lost only one citizen, and so Johann Georg David Ruf was honored in the inscription on the 25th anniversary of his death.
The outer memorial is used as a central site of remembrance for the victims of the three wars, particularly on Remembrance Day. The inner memorial, in the shape of a cross, remains a protected historic site, featuring stone slabs commemorating those who fell in World War II.
The following types of graves are available at the Auringen Cemetery:
· Chosen burial plot for children
· Single-family burial plot for urns
· Customized lawn urn burial plot
The
cemetery
has existed since 1864 and
covers an area of 6,890 m²
