Jump to content
Cemeteries

Sonnenberg cemetery

Sonnenberg cemetery

Sonnenberg cemetery

Flandernstraße 33,
65191 Wiesbaden-Sonnenberg


Bus service

Line 18, “Friedhof Sonnenberg” stop


Contact:

Ms. Hiß-Kaiser: 0611-541717


Originally, Sonnenberg did not have its own cemetery. Those who had lived east of Talstraße were buried in Bierstadt, while those who lived west of Talstraße were taken to Wiesbaden. The reason for establishing its own cemetery is both macabre and curious, which is why it has been preserved to this day. In the mid-16th century, the relatives of a “plague victim” were denied burial in both cemeteries. Count Phillip the Elder (of Nassau) took pity on the residents of Sonnenberg and allowed them to establish their own cemetery.

The Sonnenberg Cemetery was established in 1553 around the Heiligkreuz Chapel, which had likely existed since Romanesque times and survives today only as a ruin. Inside the chapel, which is used by the Protestant congregation, there is a crypt. Very few of those buried there are known to us; a pastor and his wife are said to lie here beneath the large stone slab. Although the philologist Konrad Duden died in Sonnenberg in 1911, he was buried in Bad Hersfeld at his own request. His wife Adeline and two daughters, however, found their final resting place in the Sonnenberg Cemetery.

Another unique feature is the grave of Pastor Rohr, who died in 1934; it is adorned with a bell dating from 1670, which was rung during his funeral procession and sustained a crack in the process. Without further ado, the congregation decided to place the bell—now rendered unusable—on their pastor’s grave, where it can still be seen today. Sponsorships for historically protected graves are also available at the Sonnenberg Cemetery.

The following types of graves are available at the Sonnenberg Cemetery:

· Selected burial plot

· Chosen burial plot for children

· Row grave

· Row grave for children

· Single-family burial plot

· Urn chamber/urn wall

· Urn grove burial plot

· Row urn grave

The cemetery
has existed since 1553 and
covers an area of 38,284 m²

Also interesting

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits