Jump to content
Cemeteries

Naurod cemetery

Naurod cemetery

Naurod cemetery

Kirchhohl,
65207 Wiesbaden-Naurod


Bus service

Lines 20, 21, and 22, stop: “Bernsteinstraße”


Contact: 

Naurod Local Administration: 06127-705810


Just like in Erbenheim, the Naurod Cemetery is enclosed on three sides by a wall of slate rubble and is located to the west, above the village; on the western side, the original cemetery wall was breached to expand the burial grounds. A stone plaque on the opposite section of the wall informs visitors that the cemetery was built in 1834. Inside, the original layout of the grounds has been preserved, with the area divided into six sections by the main path.

After World War II, a modest memorial section with commemorative plaques and individual crosses for the fallen was added in the southwest corner. Two additional monuments can also be found in this section. One was created to commemorate the Franco-Prussian War of 1870–71—a simple sandstone obelisk dedicated to the war participants by the municipality of Naurod as early as 1874. The third consists of a large sandstone slab engraved with the names of Naurod’s fallen soldiers from World War I. Four expressive Expressionist reliefs frame the slab, and given its similarities to the Hessloch War Memorial, it was likely erected around 1925 as well.

Unlike the other abandoned and cleared-away predecessors at municipal cemeteries in the state capital, several older red sandstone tombstones have been relocated here. Along the eastern wall, the simple steles for Eliese Klein (1826–1873) and the pedestal cross for Georg Kiepp (1795–1864) have been re-erected along the eastern wall; north of the new funeral hall, the tall stele for former Mayor Friedrich Schneider (1823–1862) has found a new home.

The following types of graves are available at the Naurod Cemetery:

· Chosen burial plot

· Chosen burial plot for children

· Row grave

· Row grave for children

· Single-family burial plot for urns

· Urn chamber/urn wall

· Row urn grave

· Memorial Garden


Documented
since 1730,
covering an area of 10,374 m² (following the 2013 expansion)

Also interesting

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits