Sprungmarken
Dynamische Navigation einblenden
Dynamische Navigation ausblenden
Suche einblenden
Living in Wiesbaden

St. Jakobus Rüdesheim

Kellerstraße 1
65385 Rüdesheim am Rhein
Telefon: 06722 / 906990
Telefax: 06722 / 9069938

religious denomination: roman catholic

The oldest part of this parish church is the tower chapel (10th century) with two compact columns and cube-shaped capitals (Chapel of Grace today). St. James was erected in the 12th century as the result of a vow made by Engelhard Brömser who had promised to build a church if he returned home safely from his captivity by the Moors. The Gothic hall church from the 14th/15th century is also a gift from the Brömser family. It was completely renovated in 1719. In 1766 a "pigtail helmet" (onion tower) was added to the Romanesque church tower and a Baroque high altar was installed. An ambitious expansion of the parish church was carried out in 1913-1914. On 25 November 1944, the church was almost completely destroyed during a heavy bomb attack. Immediately after World War II, work began to rebuild the church as a hall church incorporating the preserved old parts. St. James' Church was consecrated in 1955.

Points of interest

  • West gable with main portal and Gothic tympanum (about 1400)
  • Archangels Michael and Raphael in the porch (Baroque, 18th century)
  • The Pietà in the northern aisle (age unknown)
  • Gravestones of the Brömser family (16th century)
  • Chapel of Grace with the picture of miraculous powers of the Saviour sweating blood (about 1400) which has been here since 1813
  • The former sacristy, which has been the Lady Chapel since 1961, with the late Renaissance (16th century) altar of the Virgin Mary
  • The Virgin and the Child (about 1330)
  • The cross, known as the Triumphal Cross, over the high altar (Middle Ages)
  • Crucifixion scene over the southern side altar (1420)
  • Copies of the frescos (1390)

Opening hours

daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Services

Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 11 a.m. (not in the holidays), on feast days the times of the services may vary

Bus connection

Line 5480, Bus stops: Hugo-Asbach-Strasse and Geisenheimer Strasse

Parking

around the church using the parking meter, large parking lot at the Rheinhalle